The use of masks or face coverings is mandatory for:
- people travelling on public transport services
- the drivers of small passenger service vehicles, such as taxis and app-based ride services
- people travelling on passenger flights throughout New Zealand.
Exemptions for wearing a mask or face covering include:
- children under the age of 12
- children and young people travelling to and from school
- a person who has a medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask or face covering safely or comfortably
- passengers travelling in taxis or app-based ride services
- drivers, pilots, staff, or crew of the transport service, if in a space completely separated from passengers (e.g., pilots in a cockpit, or train drivers in a train cab).