As part of our prevention measures for COVID-19, we are enforcing visitor restrictions at the hospital:
- ONE visitor per patient per day is allowed, and that person shall be the delegated visitor for the duration of the patient's stay
- No children under the age of 12 may visit
- Visiting hours are 2pm – 8pm and outside of that will only be allowed with prearranged approval.
- Exceptional visitation for compassionate reasons may only be granted by the clinical management team.
- You may request exceptional dispensation by speaking to the Clinical Nurse Manager in advance.
- Do not come to the hospital expecting immediate exceptional visitation - phone the hospital on 006 946 9800.
People coming into the hospital will see some change to the entrance, as we now have a single point of entry:
- If you are coming into Wairarapa Hospital, you will be screened on arrival before entering the building.
- This includes ALL patients and visitors, including women in labour, so please allow for the delay in your visit planning.
- Screening may include answering some health questions, having your temperature taken, and providing your name address and contact details.
- You may be required to sign out on leaving the building.
- People will not be allowed access into the hospital unless they meet the screening criteria.
When in the hospital, we ask that you maintain 2m physical distancing at all times:
- This is required throughout the building, including in waiting areas, in the cafeteria, and when visiting in the wards.
- Physical distancing may require a nurse to ask you to leave if your visit is impeding patient care, so please do not be offended if you are asked to leave while your patient is being assisted.
- Our waiting rooms offer limited space when respecting the 2m distancing rules. On occasion, support people may be asked to leave the building to ensure people who need to be there for their appointments can be accommodated.
Zero tolerance for bad behaviour:
- Sadly, we have had situations where our staff and our security team have been subjected to verbal and physical abuse. This is unacceptable.
- Abuse will not be tolerated. Inappropriate, rude or abusive behaviour will result in you being asked to leave and potentially invite Police action.
Thank you for your understanding and support as we work to keep our staff and patients safe.