Planning an event?
If you’re hosting a party or celebration there are lots of things you can to do help everyone have a great time without drinking too much.
Here are some tips for being a top host:
- Offer guests a range of drinks including non-alcoholic beverages.
- Serve food alongside drinks and have plenty of water on hand.
- Make non-alcohol drinks fun and appealing to provide a good alternative to alcohol.
- Only top up empty glasses so guests know how much they’re drinking.
- Offer low-alcohol drinks and make spirits singles.
- Consider going alcohol-free, particularly if children are invited. Check here for tips on running alcohol-free events.
- Plan activities or things to do other than simply eat and drink. People of all ages enjoy games and backyard sports matches.
- Offer to call a taxi or arrange a ride for guests if they need it to ensure everyone gets home safe.
If you’re hosting an event for teenagers, remember that it’s illegal to serve alcohol to under-18 year olds without the consent of their parent or caregiver. Get young people involved in the event planning and entertainment and keep an eye on them around alcohol.
Hiring a venue
If you’re hiring a community hall, check if there are any alcohol-related conditions. Some church or school halls have an alcohol-free policy and local council venues may have restrictions.